So yesterday in my Ethics class we watched 'An Inconvenient Truth' and I must admit it blew my mind. I mean, I'm neither pro nor anti Al Gore, so I wasn't politically biased (except in my concern for the global environmental welfare of the world) and it really made me think. I should note, however, that yesterday everyone I ran into seemed to inform me of yet one more way the world is going to hell in a hand basket, so my perception may have been a little off kilter.
Regardless, we all KNOW global warming is a problem and we should all be actively doing what we can to at least slow it down, even if the big corporation destructors aren't doing anything. We obviously can't wait around on the government to do anything, and this is coming from someone who still has some respect for her government. It's not hard to do a little though... it really isn't. Watch your power use... not only will it help the environment it will save YOU money. Your power bill WILL go down rather significantly if you leave your thermostat on one nuetral temperature, if you buy energy effecient appliances and light bulbs, and if you turn OFF things you aren't using (like lights, etc). If you live where they have public transportation USE it... if you can afford it invest in a hybrid or environmentally friendly car. The Prius is an amazing, but sadly expensive, little model that gets 46.6 miles to the gallon. That would also be saving YOU money. Amazing how protecting the environment will actually save you money. The nice thing is if you go to the crazy inconvenient truth website they actually DO have a page that gives a LONG list of things we can all do to prevent/slow down global warming.
And for everyone reading this who thinks I've fallen into the extremist trap that An Inconvenient Truth built... I haven't. Whether it affects me or not, global warming is a problem and eventually the MAJOR likelihood is that it's going to make things VERY uncomfortable for future generations. Even if it doesn't affect me, I don't want to think of my great grand children (should I live to have any...) living in a dry, stormy world devoid of so many of the things I took pleasure in... like the simple beauty of the earth. Before I start sounding too much like Pearl S. Buck, I'd better change topics.
Other than global warming, the current topics smacking around in my head are werewolves (don't even ask), heart disease, pulmonary embolisms, neoplasms, abortion (I had an interesting break through last night regarding arguments for life at conception... at conception all genetic information is present that is necessary and at the very moment of conception growth and change begins... something that is growing and changing is by definition alive... yes that's technical and scientific but it works), Hinduism, the book of Zephaniah, Jane Eyre, scrap booking, crocheting, the beach, water shoes, and the six wives of Henry the 8th. Yes, that's a very long sentance, and yes, I think too much. The nice thing is I'm not actually worried about any of it. As Jesus pointed out in, I think the gospel of Matthew, what good does worrying do? Has it ever fixed/helped/solved anything? No. All it does it stress you out, so don't do that to yourself.
"Even the heart must rest." - Lord Byron
Friday, March 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment